Lacto fermentation is a delicious and easy way to make hot sauces. There are many recipes available on-line. Below is the one that I use. (I must admit I sort of go by feel.)
Choose your blend of hot and sweet peppers in function of how much heat you (and your family) can handle! I tend to use a blend of peppers in the 10 000 to 100 000 scoville range mixed with sweet peppers for an everyday hot sauce. I also make a smaller batch with very hot and super hot peppers for personal use!
- 300g Hot Peppers (2/3 lb)
- 550g Sweet Peppers (1 1/4 lb)
- 40g Garlic (2-3 big fat cloves)
- 30g Onion (one medium-sized onion)
- 60g Carrots (about 2 average sized carrots)
- 20g Salt (1 heaping tbs.)
- Blend ingredients with a food processor.
- Pour blend into a jar or container.
- Pack blend down by placing a weight on the blend in the jar. Do this by placing a small plate or lid that fits into the container. Place a smaller jar full of water on top. This keep solids submerged which reduces mold growing on the sauce.
- Cover with a cloth towel to keep flies away.
- Let ferment at room temperature for 2 to 6 weeks.
- Transfer into smaller jars and refrigerate.